Here is some general information about getting a marriage license in Montana – check with your local county clerk webpage below.

  1. You both need to be present with cash and proper identification to get the license (specific requirements are listed on each county’s website).
  2. If you are changing your last name, you are allowed to sign with your new last name on your wedding day, however, your name doesn’t legally change until you return the license to the clerk of court, and then take it to your local Social Security office to initiate the name change process.
  3. Witnesses are not required. My signature is sufficient, although it is customary to have 2 witnesses sign the marriage license.
  4. You have the option of returning the license to the clerk in person and they will file, stamp and hand the original back to you immediately, or I am happy to drop it off if it’s from Gallatin County and they will send it back to your home address (mailing it in is also an option, but is slower).

The following links will tell you how to get your marriage license, dependent on your location:

Gallatin County Clerk of Court  – Bozeman, MT

Park County Clerk of Court – Livingston, MT

Sweet Grass County Clerk of Court – Big TImber, MT

Madison County Clerk of Court – Virginia City, MT

Lewis and Clark County Clerk of Court – Helena, MT

Missoula County Clerk of Court – Missoula, MT

Flathead County Clerk of Court – Kalispell, MT

Glacier County Clerk of Court – Cut Bank, MT

Yellowstone County Clerk of Court – Billings, MT

Teton County Clerk of Court – Jackson, WY

Park County Clerk of Court – Cody, WY

Yellowstone National Park – Permit Info

Glacier National Park – Permit Info

I am able to officiate weddings in any state in the union (except PA and NC). Please contact me with any other questions you may have.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *